COMING WHEN IT’S READY (BY MAY 2015 HOPEFULLY)
There will be several official versions released:
- Blu-Ray 720p BD-25
- DL DVD PAL
- DL DVD NTSC
- 720p mkv
- Special features DVD-5 (only needed for mkv & DVD version as all these will feature on the Blu-Ray)
- Doing a complete colour correction.
- Rebuilding the sound mix with new sound FX.
- Re-rotoscoping all the lightsabers to fix colour (and other) errors.
- Re-rotoscoping all of the laser blasts for consistency.
- Attempting to fix spaceship/snowspeeder transparency issues.
- TIEs will be blue and ANH:RHD will have blue TIEs also
- Replacing/enhancing starfields.
- Fixing as many garbage mattes as possible.
- Recoloured R2’s black panels to blue
MAIN THINGS BEING DONE:
- New 20th Century Fox opening (based on the post-Avatar logo)
- New recreated opening crawl
- Fixed juddering starfield as camera pans as probes fly away from the belly of stardestroyer
- Added flames as probe enters atmosphere
- Replaced pinks streak with flames for when probe crashes
- Removed footprints in snow when probe crashes
- Added crater debris when probe emerges to match previous close-up shot
- Smoothed Taun-taun stop motion animation.
- Flipped shot of probe crashes when Luke see it to match the first time we see the crash
- Enhanced binoculars display
- New shot of Han on Taun-Taun when he is speaking to Luke
- New Wampa
- Flipped the Wampa’s arm as it looks like he is back swiping Luke because they used the wrong arm
- Removed boom mic reflection in Luke’s goggles
- Removed puppeteers’ arm (done before the blu-ray fix)
- New matte of rebel hangar entrance
- Changed Falcons turret gun in all studio set shots to match the studio model
- Swapped hair colour or rebels when Leia is watching Han as he enters command centre to help fix issue with flipped shot
- Covering Anthony Daniel’s neck which is visible while Han calls over the Deck Officer.
- Re-edited the Wampa cave scene to closer match the original theatrical version, eliminating all SE additions (apart from one shot)
- Altered position of lightsaber in the snow so it is more covered to match the way it is buried in other shots
- Luke’s legs position changed from open to closed when hanging form ceiling of cave to match their position as he tries to break free
- Luke’s sabre now retracts as he runs out of cave
- Expanding the size of the hangar interior when seen from outside the hangar doors in the shot where R2 is using his scanner and added more troops/pilots
- Altered scenery slightly when Han walks away from Taun Taun
- Changed the scenery seen outside of the hangar before they close the doors
- Fixed a continuity issue where the door starts to close twice in this scene
- Added a “force” glow around Obi-Wan’s ghost
- Added motion blur when Taun Taun falls
- Flipped 2 shots when Han cuts open Taun Taun to fix continuity issue
- Added lightsaber scorch march when Taun Taun is cut open
- Added cockpit displays to snowpseeders
- Added clouds to background of snowspeeder as it flies around mountain to help fix continuity issues
- Eliminated many of the transparent cockpit issues in snowspeeders throughout
- Changed colour of chest box decal from green back to the correct blue
- New snowspeeder as Han waves and added speeders shadow
- You now see 2 speeders entering hangar
- Bacta tank colour changed to red (its original colour was supposed to be red but the overhead lighting was too bright and it bleached out the redness of the tank while filming)
- New shot of probe leaving the Shield Generator
- Fixed the problem of the mound Han is behind during the wipe having the debris from the destroyed probe already covering it.
- Probe now continues to move as it fires at Chewie and actually shoots at Chewie instead of firing towards a different area
- The two shots we see of the probe now match, where originally the lighting completely changed between shots and had eliminated all detail in the scenery
- Added missing blast flashes to all guns throughout movie
- all laser bolts changed to match ANH:R and the PT
- Fixed “wobbly” panel when Leia presses the console button
- Altered path of stardestroyer in first fleet shot so it doesn’t look like it is just dropping down the frame
- Altered path of distant stardestroyers to give them a more natural movement
- Fixed problem of TIE flying behind the stardestroyer tower causing scaling problems and replaced all TIES in this shot apart from Bomber
- Altered the shadow seen on the underbelly of executor in close-up shot to match other shots.
- Fixed bluescreen matte problems of rear side of stardestroyer tower on executor underbelly shot
- Added missing TIE engines on all shots throughout movie
- Replaced the Tie fighter that heads towards Executor taking a strange path and altered position of stardestroyers
- Repositioned stardestroyer and added new TIE bombers to close up shot of Vader looking out of window
- Altered matte of Executor bridge in all shots
- Altered background of Vader to a more correct background when he is talking to Ozzel
- New rebel transport hangar matte to correct scaling issues
- Fixed the object next to Han that get knocked while he is talking to Luke, yet appear in original position in next shot
- Added “Blue” engines to all stardestroyers
- Added atmosphere glow around Hoth in all shots it is missing
- Enhanced display when Vader chokes Ozzel
- Fixed matting issue when Vader chokes Ozzel where you can see Piette’s body through the display surrounding wall
- Altered distant view of Hoth battlefield to fix continuity issue as original was heavily mist covered , yet not when we see the At-At’s
- Original shield generator mattes replaced with miniature model in all shots
- New hangar entrance shot where trooper is viewing battlefield
- Enhanced displays in command centre as they prepare to fire Ion Canon
- Enhanced Ion Canon with new background and added troops
- Moved “First Catch” Imperial officers to the front window of their Star Destroyer to fix continuity error as they would not see the planet from the side window.
- Added more stardestroyers orbiting Hoth
- Ion canon blast altered from red to blue
- Added the destruction of one of the escort X-Wings before stardestroyer is hit with ion blast.
- Added the transport and remaining fighter going into lightspeed.
- New background to replace destroyed landscape before a shot is fired as troops rush to trench wall.
- New binocular shot at AT-ATs approaching
- Removing red AT-AT window as this is the only time we see the cockpit as red
- Added missing red marking to on-set Snowspeeders
- New shot of snowspeeders approaching battle
- Fixed missing or faded blue decals on pilots chest boxes
- Added snowspeeder flaps opening and closing to cockpit shots
- Removed static AT-AT’s when seen though the front of the cockpits and replaced them with animated ones and the correct number of AT-AT’s in each shot
- Removed the two shots we see of the AT-ST’s as they are never seen in any other part of the battle and just disappear
- Turret guns barrels now repel when firing instead of being static
- Removed the small AT-AT seen through a side view of cockpit because they are still nowhere near the AT-AT’s at this point
- Added slight motion blur to AT-AT’s to give them a more realistic movement.
- Replaced original shot of Vader’s hologram due to bad matting issues
- Added some minor visible damage to AT-AT neck as it falls
- Fixed missing frame from “This one goes here, that one goes there” shot.
- Removed the traces of the wires used to fly some of the Snowspeeders
- Fixed bad composite of Luke leaping as his Snowspeeder is crushed and fixed scaling of AT-AT foot in this shot
- Replaced some snowpeeders in background due to bad movement
- Removed stick that knocks over the AT-AT Luke blows up and added Luke in background.
- Removed blast mark that was already on turret prior to it getting hit
- Added cracks to speeder window as Luke crashes to match the following shots
- Added missing detail on crashed snowspeeder set
- Added missing decals on Luke’s chest plate as he is getting out of speeder
- Removed visible studio set walls during close up of AT-AT foot
- Replaced some shots of troopers retreating due to blurred blu-ray transfer
- New shield generator explosion to fix badly composited original
- Some changed backgrounds during battle for better continuity between studio and location shots
- When Luke slices open the AT-AT panel, his lightsaber now correctly doesn’t overlap the outer panel of the AT-AT
- Fixed the problem with the shorter helmet and missing lights on Vader as they enter the command centre
- Added wall just before the explosion as the Imperials enter the commend centre as there was originally already an entrance, so they didn’t need to blow their way in
- New hangar miniature set added to replace original matte painting
- Removed Chewie going up the ramp when we already see him doing the same thing during the first wide shot
- Added motion blur to the falcons gun as it emerges as it was sped up originally and looked fake
- Smoothed out jump cut as snowtroopers are blasted
- New shot of Falcon leaving the hangar
- Fixed transparent cockpit just after “punch it” line
- Luke now turns around just as the falcon appears instead of completely out of time
- New shots of transports taking off
- Replaced X-wings as Luke leaves Hoth due to matting/ lighting issues
- Stabilised and changed X-wing display showing readout of what R2 is saying to Luke
- New CG falcon & TIEs in many shots to fix scaling/ compositing/ matte box issues
- Changed the position of stardestroyers when seen from underneath to fix continuity errors.
- Removed the imperial officer that just walks away from window as the stardestroyers collide, while all the others are falling over and added a camera shake
- New larger asteroid field
- Added blue engine to falcon in all shots
- Added blast debris to large asteroid as TIEs shoot and hit it
- New asteroid canyon
- Added light reflection on tunnel wall as the Falcon enters the cave
- Added atmosphere glow to some shots as Luke approaches Dagobah
- New shot of X-wing entering atmosphere
- Fixed jump cut as the x-wing crashes through the trees
- Added camera shake to Luke’s cockpit as it crashes on Dagobah.
- New Dagobah matte using miniatures with X-wing in correct position to match the studio version and replaced stop motion bogwings with CG versions
- Removed the “glue” from Vader’s helmet as it is placed upon his head in meditation chamber
- Fixed the problem with Vader having “no neck” in the helmetless scene in the meditation chamber
- Fixed problem of Harrison mouthing Carrie’s lines while inside the asteroid
- Enhanced Yoda’s mouth movements and added some blinks
- Removed visible head of Frank Oz
- Yoda now takes a bit out of the food stick
- Fixed the “greeblies” falling off 3PO’s when he interrupts Han and Leia.
- Fixed the problem of the Stardestroyer tower just disappearing when hit by an asteroid
- New Emperor hologram so he matches closer to his ROTJ appearance than his ROTS “fatter” version
- Removing visible signs of plastic sheeting on floor through mist in asteroid belly
- Replaced the tool in Han’s hand with a blaster when he shoots the Mynock.
- Enhancing some Executor interiors to provide a more logical layout and reduce positioning errors.
- Changed the position of Yoda as Luke puts him down to fix continuity issue with following shots
- Enhanced the colour of R2’s “eye” so that is now red/blue instead of pink/purple
- Added extra eyes to lizard in “dark side” cave to give it a more alien look
- Added glow reflections from lightsabers on certain shots
- You now see Vader’s sabre ignite instead of being fully lit, although we hear it igniting
- Fixed Luke’s “bent” sabre blade
- Fixed jump cut of Vader’s mask exploding to reveal Luke face and replaced dummies face with Marks.
- Added subtle facial movement to Bossk
- Removed visible wires from stone during levitation scene
- Fixed the ground that bows under Luke as he walks past Yoda saying “You want the impossible.”
- New matte as X-wing approaches Luke
- Added shot of Yoda climbing up mound to fix continuity error with his position between shots
- Replaced Needa’s shuttle with Lambda class version
- Removed Needa’s blink as Vader’s cape swipes past him after he dies.
- Fixed Anthony Daniels visibly moving while 3PO is turned off.
- Slave 1 now flies behind the falcon at a greater distance
- Changed certain shots while approaching Cloud City to fix continuity errors with the placement of the sun / clouds
- Replaced landing platform matte paintings with version that closer mattes the new buildings seen in the SE and to remove duplicate mattes
- Reverted added SE window at the end of the corridor, that suddenly disappears in the next shot, back to the pre-SE version
- Re-composited Obi-Wan’s ghost so he no longer looks tiny and enhancing his glow and transparency
- New Cloud City mattes throughout
- Added missing engine glow to pod as it flies through Bespin city in the SE additional shot
- Fixed the open SE window behind Lando while he betrays Han and Leia so it remains open in the following shots.
- Added laser bolts deflecting off Vader’s hands and hitting the walls which were missing originally, yet you could see the blast marks on the walls
- Used the added “sparks” in junk room added for the Blu-Ray but removed the blanket colour filter badly applied to that shot
- Removed crew reflection on 3P0’s head on conveyor belt
- Replaced shots of Luke’s approach to Bespin
- Added slight heat haze when Han is tortured
- Added missing lights from Vader’s chest plate during this scene
- Removed Anthony Daniels face visibly covered in gold foil when Chewie is reassembling him
- Fixed the problem with Han in carbonite wearing his ANH shirt instead of the ESB version he was frozen in
- Fixed the problem with the door that closes behind Luke having a raised section on the floor that R2 couldn’t have possibly have gone through. This section now raises as the door slams shut
- Changed Boba platform mattes and added missing cockpit window as it takes off
- Fixed transparent shadows in the shot of Lando and company on the SE balcony and raised the balcony. Also replaced R2 in this shot with the pre SE version as the SE one was badly rotoscoped and composited
- Removed Vader’s visible sabre blade before it ignites
- Fixed problem of Vader’s blade disappearing for a frame
- Fixed jump cut as Luke steps out of the tunnel
- Added Luke’s sabre switching off as he is sucked out of the window
- Enhanced chasm mattes to fix continuity issues
- Vader’s sabre can now be seen switching off
- Added sabre burn marks to walls
- New 3D enhanced vane matte
- Removed squib markers on walls and Stormtroopers where lasers will hit but adding them where they are missing
- Added smoke to R2 as he tries to open door which is there in the close up shots but not in the wide shots
- Added turned off lights in corridor ceilings to fix continuity issues
- Removed SE additional shots of Vader walking to shuttle and the shuttle approaching and docking with Executor
- Added fleeing ships to skyline after Lando calls for the evacuation.
- Fixed the piece of the Falcon Chewie knocks 3PO’s head into so it doesn’t break.
- Removed 3po from behind Chewie in cockpit when R2 had already dragged him away
- Added missing gun sight from one shot of Leia’s gun
- The Falcon now takes off and retreats faster and the landing gears now retract
- Added flashing red light on platform floor to fix continuity issues
- Changed Luke’s hand getting severed so it doesn’t look like his hand is underneath his sleeve
- Added lightsaber burn marks when Vader slices through the poles and removed the silver tape
- Altered a shot of Luke where you can see his hand underneath his shirt so it is now less visible
- Flipped Luke as he falls as originally it looks like his left hand is severed
- Fixed Vader’s wobbly helmet during the gantry scene
- Replaced the falcon in the shot where it swoops over the cloud so it now flies into the closest cloud before swooping around the farthest one
- Altered space shots of the Falcon leaving Bespin
- Altered shot of falcon heading towards Executor being pursued by the TIEs so that the TIEs now fire at the Falcon instead of in a different direction
- Added shot of Vader walking towards front bridge windows to fix continuity problem
- Fixed 3PO’s leg in his hand so it doesn’t change position between shots.
- Changed backgrounds of Vader when he telepathically talks to Luke to fix continuity problem
- Added smoke to falcons pit as R2 falls down it
- Spinning starfield stays
- Fixed continuity errors of Piett changing sides of the bridge.
- Added droids to exterior medical frigate window shot as it pans from the Falcon
- Replaced Luke’s “fake” arm so it doesn’t look like his arm is a model
- 2-1B can now be seen deactivating to fix continuity error
- Changed the visibility of the “spinning star” as seen through the window to fix continuity issues
- Added new ships to fleet
- New falcon as it undocks to fix transparency issues with original and throughout this scene to fix trajectory
- Fixing the issue where Luke called Wedge “Rogue 2″ instead of “Rogue 3″
- Restoring the line “You’re lucky you don’t taste very good”
- Restoring Boba Fett’s original voice
- Restoring the “bring my shuttle” line
THINGS NOT BEING DONE:
- Not adding landing crafts to deploy AT-ATs.
- Not making the AT-AT lasers green.
- Not making it so the fleet jumps to lightspeed just before the credits.
- Not adding Mon Cal ships to the Rebel Fleet at the end.
- Not adding music from the prequels or music that wasn’t originally in the movie.
- Not adding Luke’s vision so it can be seen like Anakin’s in ROTS.
- Not adding anything just because its in the Expanded Universe. The EU doesn’t exist for the purposes of this edit.
Not adding AT-ST’s to the battle(misdirection)
Video Samples (all videos were works in progress and the colors are off on YouTube):
The First 16 Minutes
Final Trailer (Photo Comparison)
Bespin Escape Video Comparison
Luke’s Rescue (Photo Comparison)
Luke’s Rescue Video Comparison
Raising X-wing (Photo Comparison)
Emperor Revisited (Photo Comparison)
Emperor Revisited Video Comparison
Final Trailer EXTENDED
Final Trailer EXTENDED Video Comparison
Lightsabers Video Comparison
Hoth Escape & Asteroid Chase
Yoda Training Video Comparison
The Trap (Small Pledge Drive Video)
The Trap Video Comparison
Cloud City Rescue (Donation Drive Video)
Imperial Fleet & Ion Cannon (Photo Comparison)
Luke Confronts Vader (10k Facebook Likes Video)
Battle of Hoth (with AT-STs!) Video Comparison